Thursday, June 19, 2008

Here's David!

Well, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle continues to be lauded as the "must read" book of the summer, and to receive more good press. Hurrah!

Here's a piece from today's Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121383011826886483.html?mod=2_1167_1

And here’s some Q&A with the author, a wonderful guy who really cares what readers think about his work:

LR: Dolly Parton has a comment I read somewhere about it taking her years to become an overnight sensation. I feel like something of that applies to the situation you’re in now. Here you are with your first novel being published. You are in a fortunate situation, your publisher has done much to support you and promote your book, and signs are beginning to look like this is going to go well.

From a certain outside perspective, it all looks quite effortless. And yet, you spent ten years writing your book. That means, to those who aren’t writers and haven’t had this experience, ten years of countless hours alone in a room with a computer, ten years of rewrites, ten years of new directions, despair, and renewed hope.

How does it feel to be on the verge of publication after all the work you put into crafting The Story of Edgar Sawtelle?

DW: I alternate between wistful, excited, nerve-wracked, and busy as hell these days, and at any given time I'm feeling several contradictory emotions. I'm relieved to be done; I want to take Edgar back and do one more draft; I can't wait to get started on the next book. But this is typical, for me, at the end of a long project -- I resist letting go even long after it's out of my hands. A person gets familiar with their particular hunk of clay, and it's comforting andfamiliar to keep working it.
[more tomorrow…]

No comments: