Thursday, May 29, 2008

Monsters

In a post in late February, I wrote about an experience teaching a wonderful book called The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff. As I explained then, this experience was the inspiration for this blog. Allow me to quote myself:

[from 2/28/08]
"Recently, in a class I teach at Temple U, we were discussing a great new book, The Monsters Of Templeton, by Lauren Groff. After a lively two-hour discussion about the book, my students still had more questions. They wondered things like: How long did it take her to write the book? Where did she get those photographs she used in the book? Also, some of the content made them wonder if the author has an interest in the supernatural.

After listening to a few of their questions, I had an idea. “Do you want me to ask her these things?” I asked the class. They responded with enthusiasm. So I emailed my questions to the book’s publicist, who forwarded them to Lauren Groff, who took the time to answer me directly in great detail. She told us everything we wanted to know! What a thrill for all of us!"

In April of this year, The Monsters of Templeton was listed on the 2008 shortlist for the prestigious UK Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction, and the book is getting amazing reviews and endorsements from the likes of Stephen King.

Here is my Q&A with Lauren Groff. . . (starting tomorrow -- I'm leaving now for the Book Expo in LA...)

No comments: