Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Proper Knowledge by Michelle Latiolais

Dear Michelle,

In your novel A Proper Knowledge (Bellevue Literary Press), your acknowledgments mention that the manuscript for this book spent some time in the garage before making its way to your editor. Can you tell us more about this journey? How much time passed between when you finished writing the book and when it went to a publisher? Had you at first thought the manuscript unpublishable? Or did you put it in storage for other reasons? What made you change your mind? Did the book change a lot from that version that was in the garage to the published version?

Thanks very much!

all best,
Lynn

1 comment:

Sacharose Robbins said...

Hello,

My name is Sacharose and I attend University of California, Irvine. I'm only a first-year but I'm set on pursuing a degree in English with an emphasis in Creative writing. Michelle Latiolais is a professor here and I was researching her novel A Proper Knowledge. I came across your blog and thought I'd ask you a few questions. It's my dream to be a fiction novelist and I'm trying to plan my journey. If these questions are too personal that's fine if you choose not to reply. But I'd thought I'd ask anyways: What undergraduate and graduate school did you attend? When did you realize that you wanted to write? What's your favorite genre of novel to read? What led you to be in Philadelphia? Can you recommend any excellent graduate universities that specialize in fiction/creative writing?

So, let me tell you a little more about me. I'm eighteen, working two jobs, living on my own, exploring the world, I crochet, read books, sing, and paint.

Well, I hope you can feel comfortable to share some of your experiences with me.

I can understand that you may be busy and such but this would mean a lot to me. Whenever you can. :)

Sacharose